Leos are particularly well suited for Therapy work, given their gentle disposition, love of children, and size (easy to pet from a bed!).
In April of 2002, the Leonberger Club of America instituted an award program that would celebrate and award those Leonbergers and their owners who devoted countless hours to participating in pet therapy programs.
The LCA is particularly proud of this award as it exemplifies that which is the best in our Leonbergers, their ability to touch lives, heal hearts and make the world a better place simply by being there. While the LCA offers many competitive titles and programs, it is the Therapy Award that we hold dearest to our hearts.
Therapy Award Recipients
Therapy Program Criteria
1. Dog needs to be one year of age to enter the program
2. Dog must have earned AKC CGC prior to start of the therapy work.
3. The Therapy Team of dog & handler must be an active member of a recognized national, state or local therapy organization.
4. Owner must be a member in good standing of the Leonberger Club of America.
5. Owner must submit the Therapy Dog Registration form. (form is found at: – https://lca.memberclicks.net/therapy-dog-registration)
A Leonberger Therapy Award will be earned by program members following submission of Documented proof of a minimum 50 therapy visits that is signed by the person in charge at the time of the visit.